We Offer Sedation Dentistry in Vinton
Have you postponed a dental appointment because of anxiety or fear? Dr. George Kevorkian, Jr. offers patients the option of sedation dentistry at his office in Vinton. Sedation dentistry allows you to have your dental treatments such as a root canal, extraction, or oral surgery in a comfortable, safe, and effective way. Our many patients who have used sedation will tell you that it is a simple, relaxing way to experience dentistry.
Sedation dentistry is closely regulated by law, and Dr. Kevorkian, Jr. and his team are specially trained in using sedation during dental procedures. The office is inspected and certified for advanced life support. Sedation dentistry is ideal for you if:
- Being at the dentist causes you fear or anxiety
- Sitting still for long periods of time is difficult for you
- Difficulties becoming and staying numb with anesthetics
- Have a low pain threshold
- Need a significant amount of dental work
We offer three different types of sedation:
- Oral Sedation – This is a sedative in pill form. The pill allows the patient to be relaxed during the appointment without being fully sedated. Many times, the patient falls asleep during the treatment because of the level of relaxation. The medication creates a comfortable experience for the patient.
- Laughing Gas (Nitrous Oxide) – It is one of the most common forms of sedation and is administered through a nasal mask. Nitrous oxide does not put you to sleep, and it will keep you in a relaxed state, which will reduce your anxiety. Recovery is quick, and you can resume your normal activities immediately.
- Intravenous (IV) – This type of sedation gives the patient the deepest level of relaxation available. The patient is asleep and is monitored continuously during the entire appointment. It is a safe form of sedation, and an antidote can be administered to reverse the effects of the medications if necessary.
Benefits of Sedation
- Often complex or time-consuming procedures that would normally require multiple visits can be performed in a few appointments because patients usually do not realize how long their dental procedures last.
- Sedation dentistry addresses and helps people with their fears, so it is more likely the patient will visit the dentist on a regular basis.
- Patients often remember little or nothing about their treatments performed during sedation
Fear and anxiety about visiting a dentist are common. Don’t let your phobia keep you from seeking the oral care you need. If you have dental anxiety, contact Dr. George Kevorkian Jr. DDS PC in Vinton. Our friendly staff will schedule a consultation to determine the best level of sedation for you; then you can have the dental work completed in a safe and relaxed environment.